Here you’ll find an eclectic range of thoroughly modern businesses – specialty shops and fashion boutiques, cafés, bars, restaurants and movie theatres. Walk further, to the west end of the street, and you’ll find large format retailers offering big brands at keen prices. Jackson Street – the complete shopping, entertainment and food destination, where there’s always something special.
So come and visit our village of Petone - we're only a 10 minute drive from the Wellington CBD.
BUS: from Wellington to Petone you can catch either: the Airport Flyer, no. 81 or no. 83; Buses from Upper Hutt: no. 110 (goes through Lower Hutt); Buses from Nae Nae: no: 130 (also goes through Lower Hutt).
TRAIN: trains from the Hutt Valley line and the Melling line stop at Petone Railway Station. Jackson Street is right across the road from the station so it's only a 1 minute walk until you hit the first shop!
PARKING: all Petone streets have FREE parking - Jackson Street (main street) does have free parking but times are limited. Parking areas are also behind Petone Library (entrance via Britannia St or Richmond St); Beach Street (opposite the Light House Cinema); or off Elizabeth Street.
HISTORY: look at our plaques on some of our buildings, plaques along the Walk of Champions, and soak in our heritage as Petone is the home of NZ's first English settlers and NZ's first planned settlement! We have events planned all of September - NZ's Heritage Month.
JACKSON STREET PROGRAMME - OFFICE HOURS: the JSP office is open Monday-Friday generally 9am-3pm but hours may vary: Historic Police Station, 274b Jackson Street.
OLD JAIL MUSEUM: is behind the JSP office, and is open during JSP office times.
VISITOR INFORMATION: the JSP office also operates a small Visitor Information Centre, so pop-in - we'd love to see you!
Heritage Month at Petone Library (Britannia St.): please see our Events page
Sept-Oct School Holiday HUNT 27 Sept-9 Oct: animals from "The Secret Life of Pets" movie have escaped - please help us find them on Jackson Street!!
* Over 25 businesses on Jackson Street (and some around the corners!) have a picture of a pet somewhere inside in shop.
* Find 9 of them and write down the names of the business & pet on the entry form
* Put your completed entry form in the JSP office's letter-box (Historic Police Station, 274b Jackson Street) or scan & email it: email@example.com
* The cunning plan is: we're not going to tell you which businesses are participating - you have to go and find them!
* Each participating business has entry forms but you'll need to take a pen with you.
* There are 3 "The Secret Life of Pets" prize-packs to be won
* FREE entry
Christmas Parade: Friday 25 November, 7pm
*** Keep an eye out for details on the above on this website and our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/ilovePetone ***
Please go to our Events page...